Subject: Re: PVR drives -Reply
From: Alan Lloyd <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 17:42:52 -0500

>>> David Barchas <[email-masked]> 01/18/96 01:10pm >>>
David Norris (ACT) wrote:

>> Some things I don't like about the PVR:
>> * The audio is very loosely coupled with the video.  It's stored as .WAV
>> files on a local drive, and the PVR relies on Windows to synchronize the
>> two.

>Ok this is something I did not know...  This does not sound all that positive for  making a
>demo reel which has animations with audio tracks. Which beings me to a  question...

>Does it make sense to buy a PVR for the purpose of producing my own demo reel, or 
>instead buy transport media and send it out to a service bureau which will end up  costing
>just a little bit less?  It seems to me that if I do it all myself I can have  much more control
>over the final product.  Also I can maybe then offer my services to  other students in my
>area.

Well, it may make sense.  You'll need a tape machine (obviously) to output to, and if you have
one with audio insert capability, there is no reason why you'd need to rely on the computer to
synchronize your audio & video...just do them as separate edits!  (Hint: I did this for a doc I
cut on a fireworks designers & builders' convention, and did two passes per edit to "pull up"
the audio to deal with the time lag between video & audio.  They _loved_ it, and said it was the
best convention tape they'd seen at the time.  I shot it on Hi8, and edited to 3/4", so not
broadcast quality, but they liked breaks timed to booms & vice-versa.  Got the trick from a
news cutter who did lots of combat stuff.)  There's no need to do it all at once if you are able
to take the time & avoid the quality compromises this way.

As for offering services to "other" students, are you one yourself?  If so, keep in mind _your_
budget, their budgets are probably not too much larger.  As for the removable media, well,
that's handy anyway.  You're not going to get a bundle out of doing it yourself and for others,
but transfer $$$ rates and other considerations aside, I'd take the good output device.  A PVR
will still put out BetaSP quality several years down the road, and you'll still have it...

>Thanks,
>Dave Barchas

Hope this proves useful.